Friday, April 20, 2007

Theory 1: The Gym - Resemblance to a big city



After having turned my knee while skiing in the Alpes, I spent the past month trying to walk, stretch, bend and rotate it. But this week I decided that I've had enough and I felt well enough to go to the gym. And focused on my knee "test-drive", I went to the gym alone. And here comes my theory. The same people go to the gym the same hours every day, every other day. You see them again and again. The faces are familiar, the people alien. Because we have this unsigned agreement that we are in the gym to exercise, with the earphones, the iPods, the TVs that decorate the space. Not to talk. I even felt bad that I poked the girl next to me to ask the time. She looked at me scared and bothered, as if she was ignorant of my presence, as if I was an intruder in the iPod life.
This situation reminds me of the bus in the big cities. Every day everyone takes the same bus to work, at the same time, with the same people. But the understood agreement is that we don't talk, we don't ask how each person is doing, although we do know when someone is sick, when someone has not slept well, when someone is happy. And we observe.

Does this bother me? Maybe. Somehow it is reflecting the world we live in. Which I wish were a bit friendlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home